cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: paola.dimaio AT gmail.com
  • To: "Javier Candeira" <javier AT candeira.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Lawsuit over Virgin Mobile's and Ethical Use
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:07:30 +0700

Hi Javier

Thanks for the pointers - not sure I understand the validity
A contract (cc license) cannot go against statutory law
It is my prerogative to make a contract subject to a condition
but maybe I misunderstand you? would you care commenting the implication
of the clause you point me to?

It looks like I need a whole cabinet of lawyers to use this cc license eh...

> This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with
> respect to the Work licensed here.

The parties would be the 'author' and the 'user', right?

There are no understandings, agreements
> or representations with respect to the Work not specified here.

this particular sentence does not seem to mean anything?

Licensor
> shall not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any
> communication from You.

They are called 'waivers' - perfectly legal standard contractual instruments

This License may not be modified without the mutual
> written agreement of the Licensor and You.

No modificaion required, simple waiver will suffice for all intents and
purposes

else,
I may simply delete that clause from my copies of the licnse

else
I shall see you all in court >.

Amicably of course

PDM