cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is something like "version 3.0 or any later version" allowed?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves" <justivo AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is something like "version 3.0 or any later version" allowed?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:06:34 +0100

On 8/27/07, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
> You're not using the crappy embedded RDF/XML in comments, so this is not
> a concern. Not that RDF is monolithic or anything.

We ARE using the "crappy" RDF thing, just not embeded. Why? Because
it's dumb to leave it commented out, and it's not legal to put RDF
inside plain HTML. If we were using XHTML like the standard WordPress
installation would force us into, I could have put it on the head,
uncommented of course. It would be valid.

Due to HTML 5 coming out sooner or later, I decided to never touch
XHTML again, and convert the whole thing to HTML 4. As such, the only
valid way to put RDF is through a <link rel="license"> element, and
that's exactly what I did.

If this approach works with the CC indexer tool -- if such tool still
exists, does it? -- it's another matter altogether. Hopefully, it
does.

On 8/27/07, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
> That's probably more information than your RDF reader needs to know. I
> think it's probably more than sufficient to just list the current
> license version, and update that when the site license updates.
>
> It's not like any RDF statement is exhaustive, anyways. Saying "this
> work is available under the terms of this license" doesn't mean that
> it's not available, or won't someday be available, under the terms of
> another license, too.

Ah, well. I guess I'll just leave it at that.

-Ivo