cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Is something like "version 3.0 or any later version" allowed?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves" <justivo AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Evan Prodromou" <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Is something like "version 3.0 or any later version" allowed?
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 13:34:37 +0100

Hi Evan,

On 8/27/07, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
> You also can't relicense a work under a new version of the license without
> the contributor's permission. It's a big hassle for wiki adminstrators or
> other content distributors to keep track of what license each page, image,
> or piece of music is available under. If you want to build a whole
> licensing framework for your software (this piece is under this version of
> this license, this one was available under this version but now it's
> available under that version, blah blah blah), you can, but it's a huge
> amount of effort that's probably better spent building functionality people
> actually need.

Wise, very wise words. That's why I rather know if there's an
alternative to that right at start and not when it's too late to go
back.

> If someone's given the "or any later version" permission, it's possible to
> just move the whole site forward at once, rather than waiting for
> derivative-version requirements to kick in.

Site and our wiki will be updated today to reflect that. I still have
no idea how to "hack" the RDF part to state current and later versions
of the license. The RDF design is very monolithic and never took that
into account, and I'm concerned of leaving it as it is.

> Ivo, I've greatly regretted not using the "or any later version" language
> on Wikitravel, and I use it now on all other CC-licensed sites I have. I
> strongly recommend it to you and anyone else who's managing a large
> collection of open media with a single license.

I really appreciate your advice.

> P.S. Xiph rocks!

In the great tradition of Internet slang: NO U

Thanks, mate :)

-Ivo