cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:27:24 -0700

On Thu, 2007-09-08 at 13:54 -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Really?! My intention with "or organization" was to cover so-called
> > "Attribution Parties". I thought that was kind of clear.
>
> Really. People take attribution very personally.

Of course they do. My "Really?" meant, "Is that really unclear? I
thought saying 'or organization' was very clear."

> My experience, if not hard data, indicates that people are quite
> shocked when some name other than their own is attributed for a work
> of the persons sole authorship.

This seems to be an error in terms of use that have not _really_
obtained the author's permission to designate the service for
attribution, rather than in the attribution summary.

So, given all this, what do you think would be a way to modify the
summary statement? It's best to keep it brief and clear, I think.

How about "author and/or designated organization by name"?

-Evan

--
Evan Prodromou - evan AT prodromou.name - http://evan.prodromou.name/