cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:24:51 -0700

Drew wrote:

Can you (honestly) make a case that DevNations conflicts with the Open Access
Publishing movement but at the same time, NC + DevNations style clause does
not conflict with the Open Access Publishing movement?

I can, but I won't.

Would CR-BY=CC-BY and CR-BY-SA=CC-BY-SA? (I figure yes from context, but just
checking.)

CR-BY = CC-BY-NC;
CR-BY-SA = CC-BY-NC-SA

CR equates to non-commercial usage only.
CC equates to either commercial or non-commercial usage.

Terry wrote:

I think it's a terrific idea.

It's Drew's idea, not mine.

Although, leaving the "NC" in, might be better -- as in "CR-NC-BY",
for continuity reasons.

It doesn't matter to me either way.

I dislike the name, but otherwise it's okay. Maybe "Authors Rights" or
"Artists Rights" would be more appropriate, emphasizing the retention of
rights. Or how about "Creative Control"? :-)

I came up with the name on the spur of the moment. The only reason
for having such a brand, is for the CC-BY-ND license. Potentially,
other licenses could be put into this brand. EG: Ballet/dance
specific license, photography specific, etc.

"Artistic Rights" is a play on the _PERL Artistic License_.

Creative Control would be abbreviated as CC. That gets back to the
branding issue, and the perception that ND equates with any of the
four freedoms.

I'm pretty biased against the whole concept of a "developing nation"
license or clause.

In developed countries, not everybody will take something, simply
because it is free. In developing countries, people will take
something that is free, regardless of whether or not they can use that
item. As a cost control measure, organizations in the third world
will sell material at, or below their cost.

it might be a lot better to pick a license that helps "poor people right
here" as well. The whole concept just seems very biased and unfair to me.

Gift economies and the tension between gratis and non-gratis distribution.

IMHO, there have to be better ways to achieve the same ends.

The foreign aid policy of the PRC under Chairman Mao was probably the
most beneficial aid for the recipients of that aid, of any of the
super powers.

I'm not sure how that can be translated into a usable license. :(

xan

jonathon