cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Michael Nottebrock <lofi AT freebsd.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Retiring standalone DevNations and one Sampling license
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 11:56:12 +0200

Lawrence Lessig schrieb:
> Today we are retiring two of the Creative Commons licenses -- the
> stand alone Developing Nations license, as well as one of the three
> Sampling licenses we offer. The reasons for these retirements are
> both practical and principled.
>
> The practical reason is simple lack of interest: From the start,
> Creative Commons has promised to keep our family of licenses as
> simple as possible. Actual demand has been one of the key indicators
> of how simple things can be. We estimate just 0.01% of our existing
> licenses are Developing Nations licenses, and 0.01% are the version
> of the Sampling license that we are retiring. Those numbers say that
> these licenses are not in demand.

I seem to remember that Cameron Sinclair of Architecture for
Humanity/Open Architecture Network mentioned the Developing Nations
license in his TED talk in 2006 and DN seemed to make particular sense
to me in that particular context - but OTOH, I indeed don't see much DN
licensed content on OAN. What's their feedback on this?

,_, | Michael Nottebrock | lofi AT freebsd.org
(/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve | http://www.freebsd.org
\u/ | K Desktop Environment on FreeBSD | http://freebsd.kde.org