cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:26:06 -0700

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 09:53 -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> It would be nice if you didn't have to use the URL, but could just use
> the name of the license ("Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0")
> or even the "initials" ("CC by-sa 3.0").
>
> In 2007, it seems that the CC brand is well-known enough, at least to
> Internet people, that it's really not necessary to include the URL. For
> non-Internet people, including an URL isn't going to help, anyways.

I think Internet/non-Internet is the wrong breaking point, more like
savvy/non-savvy. Many of the non-savvy do have net access, so a URL
does help.

That said, Google has the correct #1 result for both BY-SA and
Attribution-ShareAlike, and doing that lookup is easier than typing a
full URL.

Another interesting case is use of only the icons to identify a license.
I've seen people do this, e.g., in video bumpers or in CD booklets.

--
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer