cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Eric Garner <ejgarner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 18:00:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Dana Powers <dana.powers AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry to jump in so late, but I noticed that no one
> had addressed this comment.
>
> It is true that not requiring copiers to display or
> link to the CC
> license under which your work is available is
> legally quite similar to
> the status quo.
>
> But it is precisely this status quo that Creative
> Commons licensing
> hopes to avoid. The confusing maze of rights
> clearance is a
> significant barrier to distribution and reuse of
> creativity. By
> clearly pointing users to a rights holder and to a
> permission-granted
> license, CC licensors help hack away at the
> copyright mess.
>
> To me this is the beauty of CC licensing, and I hope
> you will think
> carefully before discarding this deeply important
> piece of the
> commons.
>
> All the best,
> Dana

We do what we can (those of us with respect for the
licenses anyway) to keep the web addresses within
handy reach of the files. For those licensees with
equally good intentions but less web know-how, though,
is there any leeway? I'd bet most CC licensors would
be more inclined toward such leeway by virtue of their
initial interest in CC licenses, to stick with the
central theme of my previous posts. They're
approaching IP from a completely different angle after all.