cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:48:18 -0500

Rob Myers wrote:
> This is unclear from the discussion of CC licenses and DRM that I am
> aware of. "Transparent" DRM may in fact be allowed. (IANAL, TINLA)

"transparent DRM" -- now there's an oxymoron for you. :-)

> > Some free software distributors object to this
> > type of clause.
>
> Some regard it as vital for protecting freedom.

Some people do, yes. Are any of them "free software distributors"? :-)

> This is a controversy so
> it should probably be presented as such. I think it would be good to
> link to one of Evan's essays on CC and DRM for Debian's position.

You could stick a couple of "may"s in there, and maybe link the word
"object" to Evan's essays. :-)

I'm really, really sick of the whole TPM discussion, myself. I just
wanted to make sure that people are aware that the clause is there, and
it might be a problem for some people. Please feel free to suggest an
alternate wording to that effect.

Personally, I think it's actually more of an issue for non-free software
distribution. I can easily imagine someone wanting to distribute an
NC-ND game in a DRM'd console format.

Cheers,
Terry