cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Unbundling the GPL
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:36:28 +0100

Terry Hancock wrote:

"""
Finally, all of the CC licenses prevent the distribution of binaries in
TPM or DRM form, which may be problematic for porting the software to
certain platforms.

This is unclear from the discussion of CC licenses and DRM that I am aware of. "Transparent" DRM may in fact be allowed. (IANAL, TINLA)

> Some free software distributors object to this
> type of clause.

Some regard it as vital for protecting freedom. This is a controversy so it should probably be presented as such. I think it would be good to link to one of Evan's essays on CC and DRM for Debian's position.

- Rob.