cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] just share alike
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:18:49 -0400

matt draghi wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a license for share alike, not requiring
> attribution?
>
> I have some artwork I want to license as such, and don't want people to be
> forced to say I made it if they copy or modify a copy. I am not even sure I
> want to force them to say what kind of license it has. I do however want to
> restrict people from restricting the copying or modifying of their copies
> or
> modified copies.
>
> I have been trying to find such a license and could not find one at
> creative
> commons. The closest one I found was a GPL kind, that was primarily written
> for software, but I think also could appy to anything considered a "work".
> That one still required stating the license though. Is there any problem
> with taking an existing license, removing the title and changing some of
> the
> words to make it more like what I want? Incase any of this sounds
> uninformed
> it is because I have just begun researching this.

There was a plain ShareAlike license in version 1.0:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sa/1.0/

That said, I would just recommend using the 3.0 BY-SA, and stating
explicitly that you don't require any attribution. The attribution
clause is written in such a way that if you don't ask for a credit, the
licensee isn't required to provide one. They will, however, still be
required to retain the CC notice and to license any derivative works
using the same license.

James