cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Regarding SA and "strong copyleft" question
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:28:14 -0600

drew Roberts wrote:

> Terry, I think this was the "threat" referred to. I figured that when he
> posted it at least.

Well, duh. But it is not a threat, and it's not "if CC promotes anything
except 'By'" as was asserted. Hence "no such threat".

>>NONE of CC's statements (including these) ever suggests trying to
>>*extend* the creators reach beyond:
>>
>>A) Control of their own work
>>
>>B) The limits already established by copyright law
>>
>>That's the essence of this.
>
> I don't really think it is.

Yes it is!
(Every bit as well supported as your claim! ;-) )

You guys seem really committed to this idea. Well, all I can say is that
I have a gut feeling that you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. And my personal
experience is that my gut is usually right.

I predict that if you attempt to fly such a license, it will be a dismal
failure. No one will want to use your work, so you might as well have
not published it; it will add as much or more confusion as the whole NC
license business; and it (and you for promoting it) will be rejected and
reviled by the free community as a whole.

I've attempted to justify that feeling with arguments about the
fundamental parity problems that you would be introducing, but if you
still can't see it -- well, I can't force you to see it the way I do.

What you're worrying about ultimately is a case of the "free rider"
problem. The thing about information works, though, is that free riders
basically don't cost you anything. Arguments about "lost revenue" are
usually flawed because they don't take into account the fact that if
your work wasn't freely usable, they just would use someone else's that is.

I'm not going to spend any more time on it though. If you really it's
such a good idea, just go ahead and try it. Who am I to tell you how to
live your life? ;-)

Cheers,
Terry