cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Share-Alike with images

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Moeller" <erik AT wikimedia.org>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Share-Alike with images
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:27:28 +0100

On 2/5/07, James Grimmelmann <james AT grimmelmann.net> wrote:
Making the SA licenses define the combined article as a "derivative
work" has two confusing consequences. First, it surprises some people
by imposing a stronger link between the text and photograph than they
may expect. Second, it gives "derivative work" a new and unexpected
meaning in the context, one that doesn't track the usual categories of
copyright law.

The license already explicitly defines movies that are time-sync'd
with music as a derivative work. I don't think the combination of,
say, a newspaper article with a photo is significantly different. In
both cases, one work is used to add to the information content of the
other, while the original works are not significantly altered. In
fact, I think this distinction (if it does exist) is highly
counterintuitive for authors.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik