cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Peter Brink <peter.brink AT brinkdata.se>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:18:36 +0100

drew Roberts skrev:

So again I ask, would it not be clearer to change the license from "the work" to "this instance of the work and all instances made or derived from it."

Perhaps "licensed copy"? A quick check of a few Swedish standard form contracts, dealing with copyright matters, reveals that the term "work" is only used when all economic rights to a works are transferred from the author to for example a publisher. The term "licensed copy" is used when the license only applies to the a specific copy of a work.

Plus, surely I can sell you a license without providing you with the work itself at all?

Yes of course. Collecting societies does this all the time. If I would own a restaurant I would have to pay a collecting society for playing music to entertain my guests and that license wouldn't be included with any of the CD's that I bought.

/Peter Brink