cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dana Powers" <dpk AT stanford.edu>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:01:37 -0800

I can only speak hypothetically because I'm still a law student, but this is my take.

Registration is never required for copyright protection, so in that respect the answer is no.

It is usually a good idea to register if you think you'll end up in court one day.  It may also be a good idea to the extent that people are trying to find you for licensing opportunities through the copyright office's db.  But in these cases I believe that a single registration will suffice.  You'll still get the bonuses of registration to the extent that there is reproduction of creative _expression_ from the registered work - which assuming the two are closely related this should be quite significant.  The signaling of authorship is also unaffected as long as people can still find you in the db, which I suspect they would using a title like "photograph of duck" and "author drew roberts."  Moreover, if you're using CC licensing the by-attribution is probably better anyways.

I find that the primary reason for multiple registrations is to extend copyright protection.  If you make work A in 2006, and transformation B in 2030, the shared _expression_ from A may enter the public domain before the additional _expression_ added in B.  Of course this is usually only the case in works for hire with set protection terms because standard authors get the same protection term for all works: life+70.  I believe that you'll find this is the case if you search the US copyright office for movies which were originally black and white and then later "colorized" when the technology became available.  I was hoping to verify this with "Casablanca," but the copyright office's search db seems to be broken right now.  oh well.

ianyal,
Dana

On 1/26/07, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com> wrote:
On Friday 26 January 2007 04:30 pm, Dana Powers wrote:
> The proposed argument:
>
> 1) simple transformations (like taping a radio broadcast) infringe the
> reproduction right, not the derivative work right
> 2) therefore creation of a simple transformation is a "reproduction" not a
> "derivative"
> 3) and also therefore licensing a work for reproduction necessarily implies
> licensing all simple transformations
>
> this is a straw man.  i don't think anyone disputes that licensing a work
> under CC-ND still allows a user to do simple transformations - compression,
> for example.  this should be uncontroversial.
>
> the question is whether a user with a license to reproduce a work may
> freely copy anyone else's simple transformations without obtaining extra
> permission.  the fallacy in the above argument is the assertion that a
> "reproduction" will not contain additional creative _expression_.  This is
> simply not true (in the U.S. at least).  Take movie soundtracks, for
> example.  In order to put music in a movie, the producer has to get a sync
> license, which is a license to reproduce the work in synchronization with
> the movie.  Although this constitutes a reproduction it doesn't imply that
> the movie as a whole is not also independently copyrightable.
>
> The distinction an infringement of the reproduction right and an
> infringement of the derivative work right is simply not the issue here.
> What we are interested in, rather, is whether a higher resolution work has
> additional creative _expression_ which is protectable under copyright law.
> Because it is so easy to reach this threshold  in the U.S., I believe it
> does.

If it does work this way, should it then be registered as a separate work?