cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Dana Powers" <dana.powers AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Enough please (was Re: Some basic agreements?)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:10:31 -0800

On 12/10/06, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:
My understanding is that if Dave does not authorize
it, then to apply DRM that plays on his DRM-only
platform is to violate the anti-circumvention clause
of the DMCA.

Is this not the case?

DRM Dave should probably consult a lawyer. But a plain reading of
1201(b) suggests that this is not the case. Check out, for example,
Doubletwist. Take with a grain of salt though, as I am not aware of
any court rulings on this point yet, nor am I aware of any bar license
with my name on it :)

dp