cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Query:Radio

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Pete Rabjohns <info AT theprojekt.co.uk>
  • To: cc Licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Query:Radio
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:20:33 +0000

--

Hi

theprojekt.co.uk is a relatively new initiative set up to develop the skills of young Scottish film-makers and musicians. We publish our members' work on our website for review and comment - all of this material is CC licensed (Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share-alike as standard, Attribution-Non-Commercial- No-Derivs when members use copyrighted material from our bank of pre-approved copyrighted materials, or as inherited).

We've decided to use ccMixter as a training resource for our members.

During our initial research, I was so impressed with some of the mixes on the site, I sent links to friends so they could enjoy and check out the site also. Their responses were predictably positive.

Several of my friends work in local broadcast radio (commercial) - is there any mechanism that allows them to pick up on certain cc licensed mixes/remixes and promote them (and ccMixter) to a wider audience? Do the fees they pay to e.g.  the performing rights society in the UK, cover them to play CC-licensed material, or if the cc license is non-commercial do they have to approach each individual artist (and previous contributors in the case of a remix/mashup etc) in each individual case to negotiate clearance/fees etc?

Grateful for your help and clarification

Regards

Pete Rabjohns