cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc licenses and youtube

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Charles Iliya Krempeaux" <supercanadian AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc licenses and youtube
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:25:05 -0800

Hello,

Here's something relevant...

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/15/huh-youtube-sends-techcrunch-a-cease-desist/

"The offense we committed was creating a small tool that lets people
download YouTube videos to their hard drives. We referenced the tool
in a recent post that walked people through the process of moving
YouTube Videos to their iPod.

We created the tool only after a careful review of YouTube's Terms of
Use, which state "If you download or print a copy of the Content for
personal use, you must retain all copyright and other proprietary
notices contained therein." The letter, however, states "The YouTube's
Terms of Use also allows users to access videos only through the
functionality of the YouTube website via streaming on the Web, and it
disallows the functionality of downloading videos." Not only am I
unable to find that language in YouTube's Terms of Use, it directly
conflicts with the language I did find and quoted above."

So... that would imply that mean YouTube is applying a TPM wouldn't it?!

See ya