cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case fallsunderCC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case fallsunderCC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:37:23 -0400

> But you cannot use the template through their service without paying
them.

Once again, I don't know the specifics of this case but it may be
possible that this service could allow you to upload your own templates
if you don't want to use ones they are providing free of charge. The
user could then find this template on the web and upload it and use it.
That would be a case where you could use the template and this hosting
service without paying them for the use of the template per se.

>They are copying the template so copyright law applies. The CC NC
>license only gives them permission to copy if they use the work
>noncommercially.

I still think they could claim that their customers are paying for use
of the servers and the bandwidth but they simply providing templates as
a free of charge convenience for their customers who don't know where to
get blog templates.

My point in providing another side to this argument is to demonstrate
that it is unclear. You and I get to argue over whether this is
commercial use or noncommercial use for free using the internet. The
blog template owner will need to decide if he wants to hire a lawyer at
$300 an hour to resolve this issue. I am just pointing out that there
may be an opening for the hosting company to drag this issue out rack up
a substantial legal fees for him if they want. I don't think it is an
open shut case.

Nick