cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case falls underCC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Does this case falls underCC Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5?
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:51:40 -0400

I am not a lawyer.

It seems to me that this hosting service could claim that they provide
the servers and bandwidth for a price. As an added benefit to its
subscribers it provides some materials free of charge to them. These
materials have licenses associated with them that the end user must
abide by. In this particular case the blogger must not use this template
if they want to have advertisements on their blog.

In this particular case, I don't know if the CC license is embedded in
the template or the user is made aware of the terms of use for the
template before or at the time they select it.

I just see a possible opening where this hosting service could claim
that they are simply sharing this template free of charge and that the
license applies to the users of the template and not them.