cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:00:49 -0400

On Wed, 2006-09-08 at 14:21 -0700, Mia Garlick wrote:
> these drafts to the public - about whether to amend the CC licenses
> to include a "parallel distribution" amendment to the existing "anti-
> DRM" (or more correctly an "anti-TPM" (technological protection
> measures)) clause of the CC licenses.

One question that's come from Debian members is whether the anti-TPM
wording in the 3.0 draft would, as it stands, allow parallel
distribution. The draft says:

You may not impose any technological measures on the Work that
restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
exercise the rights granted to them under the License.

It could be argued that TPM applied to a Work, distributed with a
"cleartext" copy or with such a copy available from the licensee, does
not restrict the ability of the recipient to exercise their rights.

I'd love to hear some opinion on the matter.

~Evan