cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: <robinp AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa?
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:49:23 +1200

I've looked at the last 7 months on this list but seen nothing quite on point.

If the only obvious difference between the licenses of two wikis is that the
little one is "Non-Commercial" and the big one (eg Wikitravel) isn't, can the
little one copy from the big one?

(Subject to suitable attribution, etc, of course, which I guess could include
a clear statement that the original material might be available from the
source for commercial use)

Robin Patterson in New Zealand