cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Against DRM 1.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Against DRM 1.0
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:15:08 -0400 (EDT)

> On 14 Apr 2006, at 14:54, Evan Prodromou wrote:
>
>> This anti-DRM clause restricts the licensee's ability to port to
>> platforms where DRM is required. I can't use an image under this
>> license in many PDA bookreader platforms, nor in console systems
>> like the Playstation.
>

>> A much better scheme (I think) is parallel distribution: licensee
>> can use DRM, if they make an unrestricted version available, too.
>> That way, creative folk can experiment with DRM'd platforms, but
>> the recipients of the work can still exercise their freedoms to
>> distribute and modify the work.

Hm, I hadn't considered there was a signficant difference
until this point. And I'm not well informed of DRM restrictions
in licenses, so I'll need to research a bit before I get too
far down one side or the other.

However, given that, it seems that the "no DRM at all"
variations are attempting to make a strategic move
in game theory sense. By prohibiting any DRM, it would
seem they are trying to force folks who use DRM to
suffer some consequences and drop it or have non-DRM
options available.

It's unlikely that we'll see DRM go away without
congress enforcing it or the supreme court ruling
it to be illegal.

However, it *might* be possible that were
"no DRM at all" works to get popular enough,
that DRM platforms *might* consider building
in a Non-DRM option. i.e. PDA bookreaders and
playstations and the like might be built such
that content *can* be transferred without DRM.

Or, content can be transferred with a DRM flag
that disables all DRM restrictions.

possible. yes.
probable. don't know.

must ponder some more...

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/