cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Against DRM 1.0

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Max Brown <max05001 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Against DRM 1.0
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 07:47:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2006-14-04 at 05:21 -0700, Max Brown wrote:
Who know "Against DRM 1.0"? It's a free copyleft license for artworks.
> At least from Debian's point of view, it's not Free as in Freedom. Keeping me from porting to > certain platforms makes it not Free to use.

Debian's point of view is the point of view of *two* persons vs. *one* person? :-)

The second clause prevents the use of DRM to protect the work: if licensor uses DRM, the license is not applicable to the work (on the contrary, CCPL licensor can use DRM);
That's not true. See section 4a of Attribution 2.5 (although this has been in all versions so far):
You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement.

Ccpl *licensor* can use DRM.

Max