cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:24:37 -0500 (EST)

> Greg wrote:
>
>> In my opinion, NC-SA is pointless and might as well just be NC,
>
> I use the NC-SA licence.
> My "document" is roughly 5 000 pages long.
> If somebody wants to distribute a 20 page extract, they can do so
> under the NC-SA licence. With an NC-ND licence they could not do so.

Again, in my opinion, taking a work licensed NC and
adding ShareAlike is pointless. ShareAlike is for
GiftEconomies. And there is no gift economy that
is going to spring up around a work that is licensed NC.

That you license your work NonCommercial is fine.
I don't have any problem at all with that.
But putting "Share Alike" on it won't affect
how the work is used at all, except theoretically.

Unless you expect fourth, fifth, and sixth generation
derivatives of your work (or more), then Share Alike
doesn't actually come into play. If you write it and
license it CC-NC-SA, and then Alice makes a derivative,
then Bob takes Alice's vesion and makes his derivative,
and Charlie takes Bob's work and makes a derivitiave of that,
then Share Alike may make a difference.

But if you write it, and license it CC-NC-SA and Alice
makes a derivitive of your work, but no one makes a
derivative of Alice's version, they go back to your
original instead, then the ShareAlike portion never
came into play.

Which is also fine, I just have an opinion that ShareAlike
should only be used exclusively by itself for true
gift economy projects. But that's just me.

Greg
--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/