cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ŭalabio‽ <Walabio AT MacOSX.COM>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] NonDerivative NonCommercial Licenses
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 04:39:00 +0000

Re: "Terry Hancock" <Hancock AT Anansispaceworks.Com> & "Rob" <Rob AT Robmyers.Org>:

"Terry Hancock" <Hancock AT Anansispaceworks.Com>:

AFAIK, "noncommercial fan fiction" is usually tolerated by the copyright holder, but is actually illegal.

¿Is anything legal anymore?

"Rob" <Rob AT Robmyers.Org>:

And you cannot cc-licence what you do not hold the rights to. :-(

- Rob.

I had no intension of doing so. PeaceFulBiginnings.Org is the first Intactivistic (Intactivism is the movement opposing genital sexual mutilation) wiki on Earth. It is devoted to Genital Integrity (the belief that all have the right to intact genitals). PeaceFulBeginnings.Org currently only has two fictional works (both allegories and original works) and no fanfiction (not that I would oppose fanfiction). We are distracting ourselves from the main issue:

----

In an ideal world, people would have the right to read, share, and derive all works noncommercially. So that authors do not starve, they should have a commercial monopoly for a reasonable time — life plus 100 years is not reasonable. This is my philosophical position. Write the licenses along these lines we get this:

CC-BY
CC-BY-SA
CC-BY-ND (for noncommercial uses, equivalent to CC-BY-NC)
CC-BY-SA-ND* (for noncommercial uses, equivalent to CC-BY-SA-NC)
CC-BY-NC
CC-BY-SA-NC

* — This license does not exist under the current scheme because, under no conditions, can one derive work to share alike; but luckily however, in the new scheme, the ND disappears if one does not earn money.

Notice that refashioning the licenses thus preserves the right to read, share, and derive all works noncommercially (in a perfect world, everyone would use CC-BY-SA, but some people have to make a living from their works, like Corey Doctorow; so unfortunately however, have to use noncommercial licenses). It is all about maximizing freedom.

I hope I explained my philosophical problem with nonderivative licenses for noncommercial works. Maybe, we can eliminate nonderivative licenses for noncommercial works in version three.

Ŭalabio‽