cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: melanie dulong de rosnay <melanie.dulong-de-rosnay AT cersa.org>
  • To: tomislav medak <to-me AT mi2.hr>
  • Cc: cc-icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 00:14:56 +0100

dear all,

cc-fr list agreed to have the expression "commons deed" translated as "résumé explicatif", something like "explanative summary" (of the contract terms) - which doesn't sound good in english.

however, it is not foreseen to translate "commons deed" in the fields of the iCommons translating application, as tom notices, it is part of the graphic layout.

i noticed recently watching a common deed on national television during a news report on Jamendo that it looks a bit strange to have a text translated except the title.
maybe the expression "commons deed" could also be localized on the deed page?

i also heard critics expressing a first impression of US stuff and pretending it is not adaptated to national legislation because of the title, which is a pity. (a court president even suggested to find a translation for "creative commons" but it is a trademark and a hardly translatable expression ;-)

cc-fr list also proposed to have the icon BY: locally adaptated (like euro € instead of dollar $), but i think there's a risk of dissolution of the icon meaning.

melanie