cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: cc-icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org, cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] use of CC Deed icons in copyright statements
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:46:52 +0100

Hi all,
(sorry for crossposting, seemed a good subject for both lists)

I've heard recently several comments regarding what a nuisance it is in some situations to provide the necessary licensing information - for instance a newspaper printing a CC licensed story often does not have the space to provide the name of the license together with its URL.

So I've been thinking about possible solutions and I remember reading on the cc-licenses list that an abbreviation might be acceptable: for instance CC BY-NC-SA 2.5. That does save space, especially in languages like mine, where words are long.

But a friend of mine has suggested the use of the four deed icons instead of words - the way MozCC does that for webpages.

So I would like to know what you think about this. And I know this would require a change in the license wording. But are there, for instance, any legal hooks to this - difficulties caused by the fact that these are visual elements?

Or maybe this can be done already with the current licenses?

Best,

Alek Tarkowski

--
koordynator / Public Lead