cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] What freedom is?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] What freedom is?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:34:47 -0800

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 22:09 +0100, j lipszyc wrote:
> Jamie Jensen wrote:
> > Actually, the GPL is only secondarily a social contract for hackers,
> > if it is one at all. Stallman rejects the Sampling license because he
> > believes that prohibiting noncommercial verbatim copying is unethical.
>
> ...and French courts in recent ruling about p2p networks seem to back
> him in this idea.

The sampling license does not prohibit noncommercial verbatim copying.
Read the license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/sampling/1.0/legalcode It isn't
there.

Unlike the other CC licenses it doesn't explicitly give permission for
verbatim distribution.

If a legal regime allows noncommercial distribution of copyrighted
stuff, as you seem to be implying a French court ruling says in the case
of P2P (I've only read the headlines...), then noncommercial
distribution of stuff under the sampling license is allowed under that
regime, same as any copyrighted material.

No CC license adds restrictions to whatever the default copyright regime
happens to be. They explicitly disclaim doing so.

> What freedom means for you?

Public domain.

But any degree of freedom is better than none.

IANAL, am not speaking for CC, etc.

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21