cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Universal Copyleft License [was: Mapping of license restrictions (CC - GFDL compatibility)]
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:13:48 -0600

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 02:23:17 +0100
j lipszyc <jl AT creativecommons.pl> wrote:
> Terry Hancock wrote:
> > Opinions? Am I out of my mind? ;-)
>
> Promising. Nice concept. I would argue, that you cannot
> have way out from UCL into any license of your choice
> because of trust.

Sorry? Could you expand on that?

If I license my work under a license that says "You are free
to modify and redistribute this work under the terms of this
license, any later version of this license, or any of the
following licenses" along with a list of "approved"
licenses, then you are explicitly expressing trust in the
approved list of licenses. (ISTM)