cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] human rights license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] human rights license
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:05:11 -0600

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:01:16 -0600
Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:
> Predictably, the community responded by "treating it as
> damage" and "routing around it" -- this resulted directly
> in Space Telescope Science Institute funding a contract
> for the creation of Chaco, a replacement plotting module
> for Python, which is part of the "scipy" distribution.

I should probably add that to my knowledge, Chaco is
nevertheless *not* being used "to develop nuclear
weapons"; that was never the intent of STScI; and in no way
represents the motivation behind Chaco. The motivation is
simply that the principle of not interfere with "sphere
of use" is strong, and bears the practical consequence of
making the software difficult to distribute to *anyone*.