cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: 20 Nov 2005 00:36:06 +0900

----- Original Message -----
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:03:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to
Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

> - Wikitravel (part of the WikiMedia project) - CC-BY-SA
> http://wikitravel.org/en/Main_Page

Just a minor point for this discussion, but if you mean Wikitravel is
one of the projects funded by Wikimedia Foundation, I think that's not
the case. ( http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Our_projects )

But English Wikinews, for example, uses CC-BY 2.5.
(http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Copyright )

>To my knowledge, the main GFDL work is Wikipedia. And that was an
>unfortunate choice due simply to lack of good alternatives. They chose
>GFDL before CC-BY-SA was around. Let's not make the problem even worse
>by promoting GFDL for a portion of creative works.

This is what I've heard, too. And some of newer projects of Wikimedia
went through discussions of alternative licensing schemes such as CC-BY-SA,
or GFDL - CC-BY-SA dual licensing, but many ended up sticking to GFDL
to keep the compatibility with Wikipedia's contents.

Cheers,

Tomos