cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: j lipszyc <jl AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:03:01 +0100

Daniel Carrera wrote:

HHmm... it looks like making BY-SA and GFDL compatible is not as easy as I thought. Thank you for bringing this up!

Thank you for adding all those links and your insight! I thought that its BY-SA which is more prohibitive, it turned that in fact its GFDL, but the problem remains.

It seems that without cooperation with FSF we will not get out of it. But GFDL was recently (3 years ago) changed - as i learned most controversial was new invariant section - and now all their attention is in GPL 3, so i don't think we can expect any changes soon. So we have to seek one-sided solution.

If comatibility cannot be reached soon CC should advice using GFDL for all educational works (textbooks, manuals, workbooks, dictionaries, encyclopaedias etc.) to keep compatibility with existing resources. Do you agree? This means adding one metatag and one question more on CC main page - and on Science Commons page too.

Jaroslaw Lipszyc