cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc rights notice for video

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc rights notice for video
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:48:51 -0500

dm233 wrote:
went looking for a standardized rights notice to add to a video distro (similar to the FBI warning) and couldn't find any... anyone know of any?? what is the required text?? where can i get image ready graphics. any help would be great.

As far as I know, no official graphic of the kind you seek exists. I would imagine you could make one up that has something similar to what is recommended for use in tags in files (see http://creativecommons.org/technology/ogg for more):

Copyright 1995 Example Band.
Licensed to the public under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ verify at http://example.com/cclicenses.html

Ogg tags, for instance, could hold an entire copy of the text of a license without obstructing people's access to the recording. You might be in a similar situation if you are distributing your video electronically.

Ideally, a copy of the license text would accompany the work; embedding the text within the file (perhaps not the video frames, but some tags in the enclosure format) allows people to easily pass along the license with the work. Hence, people would know what their rights are even if they're offline or if the CC site is inaccessible.