cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Wiki under Creative Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Wiki under Creative Commons
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 13:11:24 +0100

Hello all,

I have a new project that with a wiki site and many contributors. I'm concerned over having to list them all. I've read through the cc-licenses archives and it seems like the new 2.5 licenses try to address Wikis by allowing attribution to a "designated" party:

<quote>
If you distribute, publicly display, ... You must ... provide... (i) the name of the Original Author ... and/or (ii) if the Original Author and/or Licensor *DESIGNATE* *ANOTHER* *PARTY* or parties (e.g. a sponsor institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution in Licensor's copyright notice, ... the name of such party or parties; ...
</quote>

So, suppose a bunch of us makes an informal group and call ourselves "Citizens for the Exploration of Mars" (CEM).

Question 1: Can we use the "designated" clause to have people attribute the content to CEM instead of listing all 325 contributors?
(ie. even though CEM is not a legal entity in any form)

Question 2: How do we "designate" CEM? What do we need to do to ensure that any contributor to the wiki does this?
I was thinking that every page would have a "terms of use" that would link to a page saying:

"By contributing to this wiki you submit your work under the CC-BY
and designate CEM for attribution as specified in section 4.b of
the CC-BY license"

Would that work?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org
/\/_/

  • [cc-licenses] Wiki under Creative Commons, Daniel Carrera, 10/06/2005