cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] I have an idea

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] I have an idea
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:10:47 -0400 (EDT)

> I have just posted a blog to propose the creation of a large-scale open
> source project. Since using Creative Commons licenses are critical to its
> success, I was hoping that someone here could review it verify a couple of
> items.
>

> 1) The CC license I have chosen for the blog itself
> (Attribution-NonCommercial ShareAlike 2.5) shields the intellectual
> property
> (on the site).

legal code here
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/legalcode

section 4.c.ii
you may or may not want contributers to

"designate another party or parties (e.g. a sponsor
institute, publishing entity, journal) for attribution
in Licensor's copyright notice, terms of service or by
other reasonable means,"

i.e. you can have contributer agree to designate
your site for purposes of attribution,
rather than each individual contibuter.

whether you want to do this is up to you.

if the project becomes huge, then it makes
attribution easier for other projects because
they just attribute your project, rather
than attribute every single individual contributer
on the project.

Some contributers may find this offensive and
won't contribute. Some won't care and will
contribute anyway if its a good project.
GNU licenses don't have attribution of the
level that CC-BY does. so it is possible
to have a successful project without it.

Since it's your project, you get to decide.