cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Picture book

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Aaron McBride <aaron AT apejet.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Picture book
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:51:24 -0700

I hope someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm not looking for legal advice, just personal opinions.

Here's my situation: I'd like to use a bunch of pictures from Flickr and turn them into a coffee table book. From what I understand, it would be defined as a "Collective Work".

Collective Work: From what I understand, I can use pictures licensed under any of the CC licenses and I can license my book under whatever license I want because it'll be a "Collective Work" and not a "Derivative Work". Is that right?

NonComercial: If I use pictures that are licensed under a NonComercial license, can I sell print copies of the book on Lulu.com at cost? I won't make any money on the book, but Lulu might ( http://www.lulu.com/ ). I'd guess this would be equivalent to photocopying a NonComercial licensed poem at Kinko's and then handing out the copies for free. I don't profit, but Kinko's does. It doesn't seem like that should violate the license, but what do you think?

I think I understand the licenses correctly, but I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions of things to watch out for.

Thanks.

--
Aaron McBride
http://www.apejet.org/aaron/