cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Podcasting readings of poetical works? LegalIssues?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Podcasting readings of poetical works? LegalIssues?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:05:28 -0500

I am going to disagree with this answer. I don't think podcasting
necessarily falls under public performance rules. It has been discussed
before on this list that podcasting can be viewed in one of two ways,
either a time shifted broadcast or a unique sound recording. It probably
is both. Since it has not been defined legally, I don't think the
original question of "Is it legal?" can be answered directly. Rather
than answer this question, let me give you a scenario in which someone
might get upset by your poetry podcasting.

Let's say that Audible.com cuts a deal with the publisher of the poetry
you want to podcast. They negotiate an exclusive deal to create and sell
an audio book of poetry in which William Shatner will read the works of
several poets. Audible or the publishing company then discover your
podcast. You can probably imagine that one of these companies may be
upset to know that you are recording and digitally distributing the
works that they have already negotiated an exclusive distribution deal
for.

Now if you are streaming these poetry readings on the internet, then I
think you might be alright.