cc-licenses - Inheritance in infinite iterations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: peter <dslt03 AT pacbell.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Inheritance in infinite iterations
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:04:19 -0700

To whom it may concern,

I read an article on slashdot.org by one John Dvorak (link 1) the discussion sparked on the slashdot forums (link 2) peaked my interest. I read a post by a person with the online handle Mrs. Grundy (link 3 [to the comment]) that prompted a thought relating to other work I've been doing. I'm currently an active developer on the project Semantikos (link 4), needless to say I'm familiar with the concept of RDF meta-data. I'm also familiar with the process of inheritance that is embedded within the standard for RDF. It occurred to me while reading Grundy's post that the very openness and flexibility of the Creative Commons license and it's ease of inheritance, might prove a stumbling block for royalty disbursement to the authors of a work. For example, take an authoritative work such as a song. Under a Creative Commons license it would be possible to take pieces of that song and remix them to form a new work. That work would also be likely licensed under a Creative Commons license, thus it too could be remixed, changed or used in a variety of ways. But suppose in some iteration of our infinite series of re-use someone wants to publish a derivate of the original work for profit. How would someone go about contacting the author for such a purpose? Also given the rather complex parentage of any derivative work, wouldn't it be prohibitively expensive to license a Creative Commons work (I'm assuming free distribution for non-commercial purposes, but that the license requires the permission for commercial) for commercial use?

1)http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1838244,00.asp
2)http://slashdot.org/articles/05/07/19/199227.shtml?tid=166&tid=149
3)http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=156345&cid=13106693
4)http://sourceforge.net/projects/semantikos/