cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 08:16:45 -0400

On Thursday 26 May 2005 02:02 am, Greg London wrote:
> > Would anyone like to start a discussion of the merits of requiring
> > "source" for certain CC works?
>
> It would be more complex than trying to understand
> what NonCommercial means. How would you define what
> is source, what has to be included, etc?

That would be tough.

> With software it's pretty clear that source code
> and any scripts to compile/build/debug the code
> is all part of teh "source".
>
> But with CC stuff being specifically for anything
> that is not software, the definition would be difficult.

Yes it would. Could it be left up to the original project author to define
for
each project? Would that cause more problems than not?

> I'm also not exactly sure if it would be useful or not.
> Well, "useful" isn't the right word.
> I'm thinking of the overhead that would be added to
> every CC-SA-SRC project versus the amount of EXTRA
> projects that could be done because everyone had to
> provide source files. Would it encourage new projects
> because source is available? or would it discourage
> new projects because of the extra overhead?

Since we seem to be discussing it, I suggest we limit our initial discussions
to digital music to make things a bit more simple. If we get nowhere, then we
probably have a wider answer. If we get somewhere, perhaps we will see how to
extend to other areas.

> Not sure, but they seem to be the questions that
> need to be answered.

OK, for digital music, what would sources be?

Lyrics?
MIDI files?
"Sheet" music? (Lead sheet?)
Individual audio tracks from a multitrack session?
An Ardour project file?

I am moving slowly towards a project where we record PD children's and folk
songs and release the ardour project files for them. (Probably individual
tracks in ogg, flac, and wav formats as well. This would provide a resource
for many people.

You could learn mixing, "sound enhancement/processing" and mastering. You
could replace tracks with ones you have recorded. You can add tracks to the
recording. Whatever.

It might be worthwhile to require that any derivatives release such "sources"
to the community.

I do agree that it will be hard to pin down with words in a way that will
work.

Did I spark any further thoughts?

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22