cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:03:43 -0400 (EDT)

I must be dense, because as far as I can tell, the delivery
method is irrelevant. Why does it matter if someone delivers
content via Real or similar if the recipient ends up with
a copy that is CC licensed? Does Real prevent the recipient
from getting a file that is usable outside of Real?
I'm a simple asic designer and web stuff confuses me.

And just to play devil's advocate, do CC licenses dictate
that if Alice writes a screenplay licensed CC-BY,
that when Bob puts on a performance then he must allow
folks to videotape the performance and license the
performance CC-BY?

Could Bob use DRM on Alice's CC-BY work to transmit
Alice's work only for viewing but not for downloading?
Since CC-BY allows proprietary forks, allowing DRM
on such a fork seems natural.

For CC-SA works, it would be important that the DRM
not be used for "viewing only", allowing Bob to hide
the content behind rights management as a means to
use a CC-SA work but not give viewers a CC-SA work.

But for all CC licenses that allow proprietary forks,
use of DRM seems to be in accordance with the license.

I can't remember if this DRM discussion was talking
about all CC licenses or strictly about the CC-SA license.

Greg

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/