cc-licenses - Questions on section 4. Restrictions

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Sincaglia, Nicolas" <nsincaglia AT musicnow.com>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Questions on section 4. Restrictions
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:58:01 -0500

There are some aspects to the restrictions that kind of surprise me and I wanted to verify that I understand correctly the restrictions.

1). In section 3. License Grant it states that this license is “perpetual (for the duration of the applicable copyright)”. However, in section 4. Restrictions it states “If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any reference to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested.”

Let’s say I create a collective work of what I consider the ten best short films posted under the creative commons licenses and legally distribute it under the conditions of all the creative commons licenses. If the owner of one of those short films were to contact me and ask me to remove from the collective work any reference to them does this mean I need to remove this particular film from the collective work or just remove any text that says who is the author or licensor of that short film?

2). In section 4. Restrictions it states “You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological measures that control access or use of the Work in a manner inconsistent with the terms of this License Agreement.”

Using the same collective work consisting of ten short films as an example, does this mean I can distribute my collective work on VHS video tape but not on DVD? Because VHS tape does not typically contain any encryption but standard DVDs would?