cc-licenses - Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Use cases for NonCommercial license clause
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:06:35 -0400

On Thursday 21 April 2005 03:53 pm, Greg London wrote:
> Wyl Newland said:
> > Until I can attain a permanent home for my conditions, I will simply
> > enumerate them in plain text. My personal preferred <condition> says
> > something to the effect: "a 7% royalty of cover sales price be divided
> > according to the will of the publisher and paid upon the completion of
> > printing and prior to any sale, among the following entities and no
> > others: <list-of-entities>".
>
> So, if 10 people daisy chain modification upon modification
> and the end result is some really kick-ass work,
> you reserve the right to sell that work commercially
> and possibly avoid having to get permission of the downstream authors
> and avoiding having to pay them royalties?
>
> Am I missing something here?

I think you may be or I may be. I think when he says according to the will of
the publisher, he means the person making the copies and not the creators.

This is not such a bad idea. Original author puts out work with a list of
entities for people making commercial copies to choose from. If you like his
list of entities and think you can sell his work. Print and sell but
distribute 7% royalties in any proportion you choose amoung the entities he
has chosen.

If you want to make a derivative work and you are cool with his choice of
entities, go for it.

It might help if there were some agreed upon way for downstream authors to
add
to the list of entities, perhaps in consultation with the upstream.

While we are at it, a possible mod would be commecial-breakeven with the same
list of entities to choose from idea.