cc-licenses - Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:28:12 +0100

On Wednesday, April 06, 2005, at 01:23PM, drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
wrote>

>Would it restrict what is trying to be restricted on the page in question?
>
>http://www.incompetech.com/music/collections/royalty-free/rock.html
>
>"This music may not be resold as part of a royalty-free music collection."
>
>I don't understand why that would be restricted as long as the CC BY terms
>were followed.

Erk. They can't do that. The license is the entire offer, you can't add
additional terms outside the license.

By-2.0 8e:

"This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with
respect to the Work licensed here. There are no understandings, agreements or
representations with respect to the Work not specified here. Licensor shall
not be bound by any additional provisions that may appear in any
communication from You. This License may not be modified without the mutual
written agreement of the Licensor and You. "

- Rob.