cc-licenses - Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Question: What does sublicense mean?
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:28:38 -0400

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 04:29 am, Peter Brink wrote:
> drew Roberts skrev:
> > I am having a discussion with someone that resulted from my reading his
> > page here:
> >
> > http://www.incompetech.com/music/collections/royalty-free/rock.html
> >
> > The questin has come up:
> >
> > What does sublicense mean in section 4.a. here:
> >
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/legalcode
> >
> > "You may not sublicense the Work."
>
> A sublicense is a license granted by a licensee that grants some or all
> of the rights acquired under the original license.
>
> There are quite a few legal dictionaries out there, one is:
> http://dictionary.lp.findlaw.com/

"
: a license granted by a licensee that grants some or all of the rights (as
a patent) acquired under the original license"

Fine, but in context, doesn't the "all of the rights" part happen
automatically as part of the original license?

If I release a work CC BY, the people who get the work and the rights from me
cannot give the work to others with those same rights? That makes no sense.

What does it mean in context, what activities does it restrict?

Would it restrict what is trying to be restricted on the page in question?

http://www.incompetech.com/music/collections/royalty-free/rock.html

"This music may not be resold as part of a royalty-free music collection."

I don't understand why that would be restricted as long as the CC BY terms
were followed.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22drew%20Roberts%22