cc-licenses - Re: [cc-community] Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Schroeder <alex AT gnu.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-community] Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:39:40 +0200

Alex Schroeder schrieb:

I still maintain that moral rights are /not/ a major obstacle for CC. They are just another thing that has to be taking into account.

I asked a friend who wrote a dissertation on the applicability of the GPL in Switzerand, where he also had to look into this question. Be basically agreed with me. The example he gave for the the kind of situations where moral rights withing the scope of copyright is the following:

Programmer A writes educational software where kids have to match shapes and makes free software. Programmer B makes a derivative and uses pornographic imagery. The basic game is still recognizable as the game A wrote, and yet A has a justifiable interest in not being linked to the new imagery.

Alex.