cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alex Schroeder <alex AT gnu.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:23:53 +0200

drew Roberts schrieb:

Why would I wan't to run this risk? (If you do respond, please deal with this question specifically.)

You treat moral rights like a big unknown that can be used to silence you at any time. This is not true, however. In Switzerland, moral rights include the "right to be named the author of a work" and the "right to prevent derivatives that damage your reputation". Those terms are not some vague hammer to silence the obnoxious. They are very concrete terms. If I write a song for you, you may not claim to have written it yourself. If I write a song for you, you may not change the words such that it glorifies Hitler (and thus damages my reputation).

Alex.