cc-licenses - Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC licenses and "moral rights"
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:07:37 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 05:06 am, Peter Brink wrote:
> Greg London skrev:
> > Two strong assertions. Do you have any example?
> > Not a hypothetical example, but a real-world example
> > where Moral Rights somehow saved the day?
>
> Moral rights cases are relatively (relative to Europe) common in Sweden.
> Some examples:
>
> * An artist complained that her art were being displayed next to the
> entrance to a porno movie theater - she won.

And if I had commissioned her to paint a mural on my building and
subsequently
a porn theatre had moved in next door. If she brought the suit and won, would
I have to destroy my artwork that I had paid her for, or would the porn
theatre be forced to move?

> * The lyrics of a classic piece of music was changed in a way that the
> Swedish Academy found disgracing - the Academy won.

So, copyright exists on classical works in your country or do moral rights
exist even in the absence of copyrights? Do moral rights ever expire? When do
they pass from the keeping of the estate and heirs to teh Academy?

> * A Broadcast company split up a movie and inserted commercial breaks,
> the court found that the artistic integrity of the originator had been
> violated.

This could be fun. I think it will be a very long time before this is
accepted
in the US. Not that I would not appreciate the lack of commercials.