cc-licenses - Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 & Website Comments

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: nono2sco <nono2sco AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 & Website Comments
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:44:35 -0800 (PST)

Question regarding the CCL 2.0 attribution-ShareAlike
and its use on a website.

If a website/blog that accepts comments from members
and publishes them under the license above, is the
website owner required to remove the comments at the
request of the poster? The poster is notified prior
to posting what license the comments are published
under and that posts are not deleted under normal
circumstances.

The reason this seems tricky to me is who exactly the
licensor and licensee are, and the nature of the work.

Is the website the licensor and licensees anyone
republishing the comments from the website?

Or is the website a collective work of the articles
and comments and a licensee of the original authors?
or would the original authors needed to have licensed
their comments prior to posting them for this to be
true?

I can also see where the original author's rights via
USC 17 could also come into play if the comments are
not considered licensed individually by the CCL but
only as a collective work.

Sorry I'm all questions and no answers in this one,
lol.

Thanks for any help with the interpretation of this
one,

nono

p.s. Luckily we are all winners of the Lotteria per an
earlier message, and can retire on our winnings and
live happily ever after :)