cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:07:29 -0500 (EST)

mp said:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 01:02, Greg London wrote:
>
>> Copyright law is commons management.
>
> really? Never heard that definition before!
>
>> Patent law is a commons management system as well.
>
> it's getting worse..
>
>> The commons grows over time with new discoveries.
>
> in my eyes, you just killed the commons by equating it with a well
> defined, justice based, exclusive private property rights regime...m..

Oh, really? how about having fishing limits for oceans?
This allows individuals to take from the community ocean
for their personal benefit. But limits prevent overfishing.

Or how about logging controls for forests.

Or grazing limits on a common pasture.

Or duck hunting permits that help pay to protect wetlands?

Do you think that a management system must disallow
anything proprietary to protect a commons?

According to the constutition, copyright and patents were
created to promote the progress of arts adn science.
By giving proprietary benefits for a time, the commons
is expanded over time.

It is a management system that creates individual incentives
that in the long run benefit the commons.